ZNAPD was founded in 1981 with the objective of fighting for the rights and development of persons with physical disabilities and to be a platform for exchange of information. ZNAPD is affiliated to Zambia Federation of the Disability Organizations.
ZNAPD has been working at grassroots levels to build the capacity of its members to lead independent lives and be able to demand their inclusion in mainstream societal activities. The organization has also played a key role in lobbying for the promulgation of the Persons with Disability Act No.6 of 2012, as well as the National disability policy. Through its community structure, disabled people are reporting improvements in their lives and increased levels of participation in areas where the organization has been active. ZNAPD has been an effective vehicle for sensitizing the community on disability issues. The organization has been running economic empowerment programs for its members in various communities.
WELCOME to ZNAPD
"Nothing About Us Without Us"
A society where persons with physical disabilities, lead independent lives free from all forms of oppression and discrimination.
Education, scholarship and Appliances Support
This programmes seeks to address the gaps that have continuously dogged the Zambian Society and impacted disproportionately on persons with disabilities. Of any population category in Zambia persons with disabilities have the lowest percentage of those that are accessing education, hence the organisation has set up this programme to support members through scholarships and other methods to access various forms of education.
As part of this programme we have also built a fund to support access to assistive devices. Persons with disabilities are hamstrung by the lack of assistive devices for mobility hence most of them are not able to access the limited services that are available to them.
Youth Support and Development
Promote the participation of the youths (of both gender) with disabilities in the organisation, in the community by equipping them with skills on leadership and understanding of the disability issues and how the environment is affecting their effective participation
The following objectives are key in the Youths Support and Development programme:
• Ensure the organisation is responding effectively to the needs of the youths and adequately addressing the challenges they face.
• Youths feel the benefit of being in the organisation
• Train the youths on how to carry out advocacy, and build their understanding of disability and universal rights
• Equip the youths with leadership skills and why it is important for them to form youths committees and to partake not only in the organisation structures but also in the various structures at community level
• To work with the youths to promote access to formal education, vocational training and economic empowerment
• Train the youths on member recruitment and mobilisation to sustain the youths structures and the future of the organisation
• Educate the youths on gender parity and equality so as to promote women involvement and acceptance of equality at an early age
Information Dissemination and Communication
The project will seek to advocate on the rights of persons with disabilities in Zambia. This will be done in pursuance to specific articles of the United Nations Convention on the rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD), Persons with Disability Act No. of 2012, the Zambia National Policy of 2016 and other disability clauses that are incorporated in various policies and Acts such as the Health , Education laws and policies. The Programme will also be implemented guided by other instruments such as the United Nations Human Rights Charter of 1948 and the Sustainable Development Goals.
The programme will undertake various activities such as:
• Raise awareness on the specific Articles of the UNCRPD
• Build the capacity of local community activists to advocate and campaign for inclusive development
• Improve knowledge and understanding of the Articles of the UNCRPD amongst persons with disabilities and selected stakeholders
• Raise awareness amongst stakeholders on the UNCRPD and the various local instruments on disability
• Print and disseminate information providing guidelines on practices and policies that will include persons with disabilities in all sectors of the Zambian society
• Advocate for the implementation of the UNCRPD and local instruments and adoption of inclusive policies and practices
The programme will also mainstream other emerging issues such as the protection of the environment, responding to natural emergencies as well as responses to pandemics such as Covid 19.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Partner with us, in creating an inclusive society where persons with physical disabilities can enjoy their fundamental Human rights and opportunities so that they live fully independent and developed lives free from all forms of discrimination and fully realize the model "Disability is not Inability". which can be realized by your support/contribution in any form to enable the organization to continue implementing its programs through various local and international instruments in partnership with other stakeholders and law makers.